Most women consider keeping their closet organized to be a daunting task. You let your closet go for a few days, and suddenly it is in complete disarray. Putting together an outfit should be a fun process, but an unorganized closet is anything but fun. Fortunately, there are many easy fixes that will make any closet look organized and inviting. Below are some basic rules to ensure a perfectly put together wardrobe:
1. Clean out your closet. This may sound like a no-brainer, but getting rid of old clothes is the first step to a more organized space. If it hasn’t been worn in a year, then it probably won’t be worn again. Getting rid of old clothes frees up space for the current ones. Plus, you’re also doing a good deed by donating them!
2. Use uniform hangers. Using the same hangers throughout a closet is not only visually appealing, but it makes searching for clothes much easier. The clothes will hang at the same level, preventing pieces from getting hidden behind something bulky. When it comes to the hanger itself, velvet is ideal. Velvet hangers prevent clothes from slipping, and their thin design helps save space.
3. Sort by garment-type. Sorting dresses, tops, pants, and skirts will help save time and stress. Instead of having to search through an entire closet when looking for a dress, designate a section just for dresses. This will make choosing an outfit a quick and easy process.
4. Color code. Once the garments are sorted into sections, color code each section. Like Step 3, color-coding a closet simplifies the process of getting ready. Organizing by color allows you to get a clear picture of what you have, and is also easy to maintain when putting clothes back on their hangers.
5. Fold sweaters. Folding sweaters is not only good for organization, but it also helps keeps them in pristine condition. Over time, hangers cause sweaters to lose their shape. When folding sweaters, keep the chunkiest ones at the bottom of the stack to prevent a top-heavy pile.
6. Call a professional. Still feeling overwhelmed? Luckily there are professionals that can help! There’s an entire industry devoted to organization, and that includes closet organization. There are a variety of services offered, from custom closet design, to professional organizers who will help fix any organizational problem.
Excellent tips! My problem is, my closet is extremely tiny and I don’t have enough space for everything to fit.
Thank you! Small closets are no fun! I have a custom closet, which is nice but there’s more shelving than hanging space, which is kind of a bummer!
Just started cleaning out my closet this weekend! Still a long way to go but it feels SO great to empty out space! It’s hard to donate clothes that still fit or are cute – but I try to use the rule of thumb that if I wouldn’t put this on right now and go out into the world, then I don’t need it….and it’s working so far!
That’s a great rule of thumb! Isn’t cleaning out your closet the greatest feeling? I feel like a new person after doing some reorganizing!
Love these ideas! I’m totally OCD about my closet and already color code my clothes and separate by style. I had no idea about the sweaters and that is such a great idea! Great post!
Thank you! I’ve always separated by style too, but have a hard time keeping things color coded! It looks so much better when all your colors are together!
I too am a firm believer on closet organization, and dutifully rotate my items each season! But lately, I’m finding that color coding is the hardest thing to upkeep! By the end of the week, green is mixed with orange it’s all shot to hell lol A constant work in progress lol
That’s great you can keep up each season! Don’t worry, color coding is hard for me too! It looks great when you first organize it, but it’s definitely a challenge to upkeep when your busy!
I love these tips! I’ve been hearing a lot lately about velvet hangers and how they are awesome for organization and keep your clothes from sliding off. I’m thinking of upgrading – have you heard of any places that have them?
Thanks, Christy! Bed, Bath, & Beyond has a set of 50 for $30: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=123267 and I found a set of 50 on Amazon for $25! http://www.amazon.com/Closet-Complete-Velvet-Hangers-Dresses/dp/B0037KMSQY
Thank you!! I can’t wait to get these and organize 🙂
Since we just moved, I’ll have to start with a clean slate in terms of closet organization. I just recently started folding my sweaters and that helps a lot. And I completely agree, color coding makes the whole closet look much better.
That’s kind of exciting you get to start from scratch! I fold my sweaters, and feel like they’re in much better condition than when I used to hang them.
this is my ideal wardrobe. I need a room for all my things! eek!
I’m the same way!
I so wish my closet was more organized! Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a disaster, it’s just that it’s a really small walk in closet that I share with my husband. I have so many clothes the poor guy barely has any space. I think I’d be way more organized if I had a bigger closet!! Great tips Olivia!
Pearls & Lace
Haha it’s the same way with my parent’s closet! I think men just have to accept the fact that we have more clothes and need more space!
Hahaha same goes for my parent’s closet, which is absolutely HUGE by the way!
Pingback: Let’s Get Organized!!!!! | Yvette's Image
I just did a major closet purge and feel SO much better! By the way, I love your blog name- it’s so darling : )
Brooke du jour
I’m the same way when I clean out my closet! And thank you! I love it because it incorporates two of my favorite things 🙂