Most women consider keeping their closet organized to be a daunting task. You let your closet go for a few days, and suddenly it is in complete disarray. Putting together an outfit should be a fun process, but an unorganized closet is anything but fun. Fortunately, there are many easy fixes that will make any closet look organized and inviting. Below are some basic rules to ensure a perfectly put together wardrobe:
1. Clean out your closet. This may sound like a no-brainer, but getting rid of old clothes is the first step to a more organized space. If it hasn’t been worn in a year, then it probably won’t be worn again. Getting rid of old clothes frees up space for the current ones. Plus, you’re also doing a good deed by donating them!
2. Use uniform hangers. Using the same hangers throughout a closet is not only visually appealing, but it makes searching for clothes much easier. The clothes will hang at the same level, preventing pieces from getting hidden behind something bulky. When it comes to the hanger itself, velvet is ideal. Velvet hangers prevent clothes from slipping, and their thin design helps save space.
3. Sort by garment-type. Sorting dresses, tops, pants, and skirts will help save time and stress. Instead of having to search through an entire closet when looking for a dress, designate a section just for dresses. This will make choosing an outfit a quick and easy process.
4. Color code. Once the garments are sorted into sections, color code each section. Like Step 3, color-coding a closet simplifies the process of getting ready. Organizing by color allows you to get a clear picture of what you have, and is also easy to maintain when putting clothes back on their hangers.
5. Fold sweaters. Folding sweaters is not only good for organization, but it also helps keeps them in pristine condition. Over time, hangers cause sweaters to lose their shape. When folding sweaters, keep the chunkiest ones at the bottom of the stack to prevent a top-heavy pile.
6. Call a professional. Still feeling overwhelmed? Luckily there are professionals that can help! There’s an entire industry devoted to organization, and that includes closet organization. There are a variety of services offered, from custom closet design, to professional organizers who will help fix any organizational problem.