I have become a huge lover of podcasts in the past year or so. I really don’t know how it took me so long to realize how great they are, but they’re pretty awesome. This is probably where I should make a confession: I am obsessed with talk radio. I think that has to do with my journalism background, and always wanting to know what’s going on in the world. I started getting really into it after I graduated college and started spending a lot of time in my car due to my real estate career. Since I hadn’t discovered the podcast world at that point, I would stick to my local talk radio stations (which I still listen to today). The station I listen to is great, but it’s made up entirely of middle-aged men (which is totally fine, but after awhile you want to add some variety to your routine).
I’ve added a ton of great podcasts to my subscription list, and I wanted to share them with you in case you’ve become podcast-crazed like myself. If you haven’t gotten the bug yet, I highly recommend listening to one. There’s something soothing about just listening and not having to necessarily “watch” the show. Sometimes, I’ll even listen to one when I’m working from home, especially the motivating podcasts. Maybe I’m alone here, but I love listening to things when I’m in the shower. I used to listen to music, but now I’ll throw on a podcast and take an extra long shower (when I have time). It’s the best!
There are a ton of great podcasts out there, but these are my top 5 that I think are worth a listen!
- Psychobabble with Tyler Oakley. The first podcast I started listening to regularly was YouTuber Tyler Oakley’s Psychobabble. Tyler was one of the original YouTubers, and the podcast revolves around him and best friend Korey Kuhl’s hilarious take on pop culture. Their dynamic is perfect, and their stores always take on a life of their own. They also have other YouTubers on from time to time, which are always my favorite episodes. What I love about this show is it makes me laugh, and it feels so conversational and natural. Plus, I think anyone who knows who Tyler Oakley is wants to be best friends with him. *raises hand*
2. Creative City Podcast with Tamia Stinson. Tamia is a friend and fellow Cincinnatian who recently launched her podcast, and spoiler alert: it’s awesome! Through her job at Cincinnati Magazine, she’s gotten to meet all sorts of interesting people with stories to tell. Tamia interviews people making an impact in the city, and allows them to share how they got where they are today. I personally love hearing about people’s ups and downs in life, and how it all got them to a successful place in life. If you’re looking to be inspired, give this a go!
3. Girl Boss Radio with Sophia Amoruso. If you’re a twenty-something female, you’re probably well aware of who Sophia Amoruso is and why she’s considered a badass. She’s grown Nasty Gal into a massive company, and it all started with an idea. It’s crazy to think that she started off on Myspace and gained over 60,000 “friends” through the platform while selling vintage clothes. If you’ve read Sophia’s hit book #GIRLBOSS, then you’d probably love Girl Boss Radio, her podcast that was launched last September. Sophia interviews fellow women who have worked hard and made a name for themselves in their respective industries, and they share what they’ve learned throughout the journey. Some noteworthy guests include Charlize Theron and YouTuber Grace Helbig (whose name you’ll be seeing later in this blog post).
4. The Lively Show with Jess Lively. Jess’ podcast is highly addictive, and once you listen to one you’re going to want to listen to all of them. She believes in living with values-based intentions, and talks about it in depth on her podcast. By adding value to your everyday life, Jess teaches that it can uplift and inspire you to best your best you. She interviews a wide variety of experts, including bloggers and entrepreneurs. For me, this is one of the more motivating podcasts I’ve listened to. I like to listen to this one when I have zero distractions around me and can just take it all in. Jess and her guests always share incredible advice that I feel like I don’t want to miss!
5. Not Too Deep with Grace Helbig. If you’re a YouTube fanatic like myself, then you probably know Grace Helbig. The comedienne paved her own path on the internet and made a name for herself with her unapologetically funny sense of humor. Unlike some of the other podcasts mentioned here, this one is extremely lighthearted and doesn’t serve too much of a deeper purpose (I mean that in the best way possible). It’s lighthearted, funny, random and pretty weird most of the time, which I happen to love. Sometimes, we just need to laugh and not think too hard. She has well-known guests on her show, and asks them pretty far out there questions about things that really have no relevance other than being funny. If you’re looking for something that’s anything but serious, this one’s for you!
Pingback: Thread Cincinnati » 5 Podcasts To Listen To Now
I haven’t gotten into podcasts but have been meaning to- this list is a great start, thanks lady! 🙂
Thank you so much for including + sharing The Lively Show with these other great shows. : )
Pingback: Starting a Podcast!! - DaphneRenee